Thursday, May 5, 2011

My WIC rebellion...

Yesterday morning, the (5) kids and I headed off to a WIC appointment.

I have been in the WIC program for awhile now.  A couple years ago, they completely changed their program and nutritional guidelines.  In most ways, this was a good thing.  More fruits and veges, farmer's market coupons (whoo-hoo!!!!) and whole-grains. 

BUT...

I now find myself getting in a little argument with the nutritionist every time I go.  :)

I suppose I could just slide under the radar and not tell them I feed my kids whole dairy.  I don't have to mention that I would never knowingly buy low-fat anything.  Phil was firm on whole dairy, and since the man is a darn good personal trainer and very knowledgeable in nutrition, I think his opinions hold some weight.  In all the research I've done on my own, I've drawn the same conclusions...fat is good for you.  Your body needs it to function.  Especially children, whose bodies are growing at an exceptional rate.

So, it always comes to this...

:::ahem:::  "It says here that you feed your children whole milk.  Is this true?"

"Yes.  Yes, it is." 

"You do know that here in the WIC program, we only recommend low-fat dairy for children over the age of two?"

"Yes.  I am aware.  But I'm firm in my belief that their developing bodies need the saturated fat found in dairy products."

Now let me tell you here that this conversation is always AFTER I am told that my children are beautiful and healthy and perfect on the height/growth charts.  They're proportionate and completely within healthy weight ranges.

It goes on...

"Yes, but here in the US we're seeing an epidemic of obesity and heart disease.  By switching to skim milk, we belive we are making a positive change."

"Yes, ma'am.  I understand this.  But my kids don't eat like normal American children.  They live on fruits and veges, whole-grains, and meats.  The only fat they get is from their dairy, and you're not going to convince me that a fat-free diet is healthy for anyone, especially children."

At this point, my rebellious, defiant side is flaring up.  I don't like being told how to feed my children.  I may not have a degree in nutrition, but you'd better believe I've done my research.  I know what's healthy, and why.  I know what's good, and what's bad.  I tend to get a little overly emotional when I'm told that I'm harming my children through their food.  Do I feed them fast food on a regular basis?  Nope.  Do they eat prepackaged foods the majority of the time?  Not at all.  I can hardly get myself to buy Goldfish crackers.  I finally relented and started buying Triscuits and Wheat Thins, because I'm just too lazy to make my own crackers.  But seriously, whole milk?!  Come on...

So this is what the nutritionaist said to me, in her final attempt to sway me from whole dairy...

(Said very sweetly, but a bit arrogantly)  "Let me just put it this way...do you realize that in one glass of whole milk, there is the saturated fat equivalent of 6 slices of bacon??  Just think about that for awhile."

Bacon, you say?








As much fat as a 6 pieces of bacon?

I was thinking, alright...





"Should I tell her that up until recently, I fed them raw milk, too??"

No comments:

Post a Comment