Friday, October 1, 2010

I'm so excited!!!

I received a call tonight from my favorite Eastern Market vendor.  My name finally made it to the top of the list for a cow share!!!!  I will be heading to the market in the morning to discuss leasing details and monthly payments.  I have to admit, now that it's in my grasp I am a little nervous.  I believe in the benefits of raw milk whole heartedly, but the price is so much when I have so little.  I have recently started baby-sitting regularly for a friend, but i'm so far behind on so many bills...

BUT...I figured out a budget the other day, which allows for tithing, debts and bills, savings, and spending.  I underestimated my monthly budget, so I should be able to squeeze the money out somewhere.  I've just become so comfortable with being cheap!!  I break out in cold sweats when I spend money.  :-P 

The lease I am getting into is $75 per year (to "lease" the cow) and then I am paying "boarding fees" of $75 per month, which will allow me to get 2 1/2 gallons of milk per week.  Sounds pricey, huh?  But I have learned to give up so many "things," like new clothes, nights out, "fun money."  Now that I have a little bit of income, I should be able to budget $75 per month, if i am careful.  And like i said before, I feel that raw milk is an important part of a growing child's diet.  We've already given up regular sweets and processed foods, and switched to fruits and veges, whole dairy, and soaked grains (although I would like to add more soaked grains to our diet...).  My kids love to drink tea, water, and milk.  Raw dairy is our last step...

The woman I spoke with about the cow lease said that raw milk will take some getting used to, and to take it slow at first.  We shall see how it goes.  And of course, I'll be blogging about it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment