Thursday, August 4, 2011

An impromptu drive

I took my babies for a drive last night.  My car battery had died in my van Tuesday morning (after I packed up all 4 kids to head to the beach.  Be glad you weren't in my van when I had to tell them we weren't going!!)  My mama called a towtruck last night to gimme a jump, and I was told to drive it around for a bit to recharge the battery.

I suppose I could have driven for 20 minutes like I was told and headed back home.  But I loooove a liesurely drive, and since I'm so careful with my gas (aren't we all?), I rarely ever allow myself to take one.  I had a little over a quarter tank of gas and about 2 hours of daylight left.  Just this once, I decided to take my kids for a drive "just for fun."

I knew where I would go.  I always head to one of two places when I'm "aimlessly" out for a drive.  If I need to pray and be alone, I head to Jeffereson and drive along the water.  It calms me.

If I'm happy, and just want to enjoy a beautiful drive, I head to Romeo. 

My mom and sis and I were recently asked the question, "If you could live anywhere in the entire world, where would you live?"  Emma, of course, said "New Bern, NC."  Our hearts are all thanking the Lord for blessing her with the move back to New Bern this week.

My mom and I?  We both gave the same answer. 

"Romeo, MI."

When I was in early elementary school, we lived in Washington Twp., just outside of Romeo.  For those familiar with the area, our old house sits right on the corner of 30 mile & Campground.
This is what it looks like now...
I loved that house.  And the 2-acre lot, that held a barn, chicken coops, and a milkhouse.  I'm a country girl (hence the blog address) and these things make me happy.  I was angry for years when we moved away.

So when I allow myself to, I head up there, drive around, and ask the Lord that if it is within His Will for mine and the kids lives, could we someday end up in a house with a big 'ole yard North of 28 Mile?  I don't care so much about the house.  I just want my kids to be able to run and play and climb trees and pick apples and thoroughly enjoy thier childhood outdoors.  :)  I loved heading outside and "discovering" when we lived in that house.

I also love these...


Dirt roads.  :)  To me, they're a sign that I'm where I want to be. 

Two things repeatedly ran through my mind last night, as I drove along the gravel covered dirt...Jason Aldean's "Dirt Road Anthem" (of course) and "I want to live up here.  Spend my life up here.  Raise my kids and grow old up here."

I don't know what it is about that end of the county.  Maybe it's because deep down, I'm not a city/suburb girl.  I'm a barefoot country girl, and as a child I had a taste of that life.  I've wanted to go back ever since.

Emma is back in New Bern.  I hope someday I can end up near Romeo.  :)  But again, at the risk of sounding like all I do is say the same things, I know the Lord has a plan for the kids and I and I want that plan more than anything.  His plans are always so much better than ours.  :)  And when I am spending eternity in Heaven praising Him, it's not going to matter so much where I raised my family.  What will matter is that I raised them every day to love and serve Him, and that we gave everything (even our simplest desires) to Him.  If He leads us to Romeo, as He led Emma and Greg back to New Bern, I will be more excited than I could even begin to tell you.  But even living in Sterling Heights, in my parents home, I've learned to be content and happy and at peace.  I don't know where we'll be in the future or what our lives will be like.  But He's already working it out for our good, and it's better than anything I could dream up on my own.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment