Saturday, May 29, 2010

Feeding Babies

I was reading up on nutrition and some new recipes at one of my favorite blogs, Meg's Fave Recipes.  I highly recommend the nutritional guidelines set by Weston Price, which is the basis for the book "Nourishing Traditions."  If you haven't read 'Nourishing Traditions,'  I am strongly encouraging you to run to the bookstore and buy a copy RIGHT NOW.  If you want to know why, refer back to this post.

Meg posted a link on her blog to a general guideline on feeding babies.  I think the info is so important, I am sharing it myself.  The doctors and food companies are wrong, wrong, WRONG.  A baby's stomach is not ready for any type of grain until after the first birthday, and we are taught to start an infant on cereal sometimes as early as 3 months.  If you have children, or are planning to have children, PLEASE read this post.  You very well may be (unknowingly) leading your infant down the road that leads to obesity, allergies, asthma, heart disease, or diabetes.  The link is here.

Again, I am not here to tell anyone how to do anything.  "To each, his own, I say."  But I feel very strongly about several topics, and traditional nutrition is one of them.  I wouldn't feel right about keeping the information to myself.

I will post more information soon.  I recently purchased my own grains and am going to experiment with grinding them myself before soaking and using them in baking recipes.  The info on why I soak my grains before baking or cooking them is here.  I will keep you posted on how they turn out.

My mom and i are also experimenting with homemade lotion recipes.  We've already tried making our own almond oil lotion, and grapeseed oil lotion.  We've both been using the grapeseed oil lotion for over a month.  It's pretty good stuff!  :)  I also want to try making toothpaste, deodorant, and various other health and beauty staples.  I'm loving the cost savings and control over what is in the products I'm using every day.  Especially in things my kids use, like toothpaste and lotion.  I will post the recipes after I have tried them, just in case anyone is interested.

Lastly, I bought some kombucha at a nearby health food store.  Kombucha is a chinese tea (it's actually a by-product of fermenting tea and sugar that is full of lacto-bacilli).  I read that it's hard to find store-bought kombucha that is worth drinking, but home brewing is hard, dangerous, and time-consuming.  The brand I tried was GT's Raw Organic, and it is definitely potent!!  From what I've read, true kombucha should give you a "buzz' after drinking it.  Try a bottle of GT's!!  I tried almost all the flavors, and I recommend the ginger.  Good stuff.  :)  According to the bottle (and many sources I've read) kombucha supports digestion, metabolism, the immune system, appetite control, weight control, liver function, body alkalinity, anti-aging, cell integrity, and healthy skin and hair.  I don't know if it can really accomplish all of those claims, but I've heard it's very good for cleansing the body of toxins.  FYI...you shouldn't drink kombucha if you are pregnant or nursing, since your body may dispose of toxins in your breastmilk, and a baby may receive them through your bloodstream.  I waited until I knew Lex was through nursing before I tried it.  I'm hooked for now.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for answering my question without me having to ask...I will wait until after pregnancy and nursing to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete